I’ve written posts about each type of interview-
Today we will be covering video call interview tips. Virtual meetings are the new normal, so why not embrace video calling? Whether it’s Zoom, Google Hangouts, Teams, Skype, or another video chat platform, these tips are sure to help you in your interview.
- Test out your wifi connection before the call!
- Pick your spot for your video call before the interview. Test it out to make sure it’s a plain background. A plain, blank wall is best! Take down any decoration if needed.
- Make sure you know how to join the video call before it begins, the day before if possible.
- Be on time!
- Be honest with the host if your wifi or video platform is having problems or if you have questions about how to use it.
- Verify the links to the interview and verify how to join the room, who will send the link, etc.
- If possible, use a microphone of sorts for the interview. This can be on your headphones, or just a microphone plugged into your computer. It will give better sound and the interviewer can hear you better.
- Sit somewhere you can plug your computer into a power source, or have a fully charged computer before your interview. Don’t let low battery tank your interview!
- Dress professionally- even your pants! I know the popular thing right now is pj’s on the bottom, dress shirt on the top. But what if an emergency happens or they ask you to grab something that’s not right next to you and you are wearing sweats when you stand up?