COVID has made some crazy times for all of us. Because we are trying to be more socially distant in all that we do, many interviews for jobs or schools have been adapted to phone or video call interviews to stay a little safer. Here are our tips for having a successful phone interview!
- Plan to be in a quiet area with no distractions during the interview. You should treat it just like a regular interview and not be browsing the grocery store or driving in the car when they call.
- Test out your phone connection before the call. You may decide to do the interview in a quiet room in your basement, but it may have bad cell service and the call may be dropped or hard to hear. Avoid this by calling your parents or grandparents for a quick check-in, they’ll appreciate it and you’ll be able to get a feel for where your connection is best!
- Keep a notepad and pen for notes you might need to take during the interview.
- Avoid using speakerphone if possible. It can be low-quality sound on their end. If you need hands-free calling, consider using headphones with a microphone instead.
- Make a note for if you need to call them, or if they will be calling you. It’s more common than you’d think to miss an interview because of miscommunication of who will be calling whom.
- Stay calm and speak clearly!
Have you had a phone interview for school or a new job yet? What other tips would you add?