This is a series of provocations designed to provide resources for students to inquire into the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals, or SDGs. For more, click here.
A good summary of the Decent Work & Economic Growth global goal is as follows:
“The SDGs promote sustained economic growth, higher levels of productivity and technological innovation. Encouraging entrepreneurship and job creation are key to this, as are effective measures to eradicate forced labour, slavery and human trafficking. With these targets in mind, the goal is to achieve full and productive employment, and decent work, for all women and men by 2030.”United Nations Development Programme
Below are resources intended to help students think about how they might make personal connections to this goal. How does it impact their local areas? How might their choices help?
Resource #1: PeopleMovin: interactive online graph of migration flows across the world
Resource #2: Fair Hotels advertisement by Naissance
Resource #3: My Brother by Audrey Yeo
Resource #4: One Hen: How One Small Loan Made a Big Difference by Katie Smith Milway & Eugenie Fernandes
- What is “decent work” like?
- What are the benefits of a human having a job?
- How is job availability changing?
- What are the effects when a person is unable to work? For themselves? For their families? For their communities?
- How is work connected to healthy economies, communities, and countries?
featured image: DeathToTheStockPhoto