High school is one of the most difficult places in a person’s life, perhaps with the exception of Middle School. Part of the reason is because most of us are still trying to figure out who we are! Take it from someone who made it through high school; here are the things I would have done differently:
- Don’t Get Involved In Gossip. Think about how much different the world would be if people worried about their own actions, and didn’t try to get involved in the business of other! Gossip hurts and creates no positive outcome. As Eleanor Roosevelt once said, “Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.”
- Care About Dating Less. Of course, there are always the exceptions, but most of the time, the rule is that you probably won’t marry whomever you date in high school. It is very likely, however, that you will need good grades to get into a good college–not to mention use what you learn in your everyday life. Perhaps focusing on the sure vs. the unsure will be of most consequence to your future.
- Get Involved. This is how you make lasting friendships and learn skills that keep you ahead of the curve. Choir, band, Newspaper, Yearbook, Athletics, etc. Do something and do it well.
- Ask For Help. There is no shame in needing help. If someone says there is, ignore that person. Your counselors and teachers would die of happiness if they thought their students cared enough to ask for help to understand.
- Find Your Confidence. High school is a time to begin understanding who you are and who you want to be. The best way to do this is to explore lots of areas and decide which one is best for you, then excel at it and use that confidence in your day-to-day encounters.
Everyone always says this, but High School seems like the whole world when you’re in it. As soon as you leave, you realize there is so much more beyond the pettiness and bullying. Life is awesome and you can do so much with it!
The last piece of advice is that it’s never too late to turn things around and decide to do what’s best for you! Bonne chance as they say in French!
Featured Image: Cubmundo