As you students prepare for graduation, job interviews, college applications, and more, one common thing will come up that you will need- Letters of recommendation.
What is a letter of recommendation? It’s when a teacher or mentor writes a letter to advocate for you as you apply for whatever it is you’re trying to get into. Obtaining these letters can be as easy as contacting trusted teachers and mentors asking for a letter. However, here are a few tips to keep in mind.
- Consider what you need the letter for- is it to get into college? Is it for a scholarship? To get into a specific group, club, or program?
- Utilize this in who you ask for a letter from. For example: If you’re applying for a business school at your University, talk to past teachers in subjects related to business. Economics, finance, business, etc.
One of our past scholarship winners came to us asking for a letter of recommendation for a similar scholarship geared towards college students. Keep your letters similar to what you are needing them for.
- Ask for letters from teachers and mentors that know you well and will have plenty of positive points to talk about for you.
- Let them know what you need the letter for, giving them some background on what the letter is for/ who their audience is can help them in writing it.
- Give them plenty of time to get the letter to you, they may not have time the night before to get it done for you!
Asking for letters of recommendation doesn’t have to be daunting and can help your application be taken to the next level. Good luck!