This is part of a series of inquiry-based provocations for essential elements of the PYP. For more, click here.
“How We Express Ourselves” was always a tricky PYP unit theme for me. I struggled finding ways to help our students weave it in a transdisciplinary manner, and it almost always just came back to the obvious art.
But similar to how my view of the PYP key concepts has broadened over time, so too is my view of this theme. I have come to better understand that expressing ourselves is a basic human need that is woven into all we do. I’ve also found that authentic self-expression, which engenders passion and joy, is more readily found when we embrace imperfection, cultivate a growth mindset, and are given opportunities to own our learning.
With that in mind, here are a few resources that might help you invite your students into a How We Express Ourselves Inquiry. Don’t forget about the provocation questions at the end (and add a few of your own if you’re so inclined)!
Resource #2: Callum Donovan Grujicich’s Sculptural Art by CBC Arts, via The Kid Should See This
Resource #3: Why Do I Study Physics? by Shixie
Resource #2: Lily Hevesh’s Dominoes by Telia Carrier, via The Kid Should See This
Resource #5: Picture Books, of course!
“The Big Orange Splot” by Daniel Pinkwater has been a lifetime favorite of mine. Read with your students about what happens when a bird drops a bucket of paint on Mr. Plumbean’s house that used to be just like every other house on his neat street.
I love the mysterious whimsy of Annabelle’s box of yarn that never runs out, and how she uses it to transforms her surroundings.
- What does it mean to express ourselves?
- Why do we feel the need to express ourselves?
- How is general expression different from self-expression?
- How can one person’s self-expression help someone else see the world differently?
- How does the way we choose to express ourselves impact our lives? How does it impact the lives of others around us?
- What is the connection between self-expression and individuality?
- What is the connection between self-expression and perspective?
- What does the growth mindset have to do with self-expression?
- How can self-expression sometimes be unexpected?
- Why is perfectionism the enemy of self-expression?
featured image: DeathToTheStockPhoto